Hey everyone. I am so happy to be back writing again, and on our own computer! Woo hoo!
(Side note: My Father-in-Law is AWESOME! Thanks Dan!)
To both start and end September I wanted to write about some things that help me feel more at peace within myself, and hopefully there are some things here that can help you as well in order to feed and nourish your soul.
I believe that it is so important to take care of yourself and make sure that your mind, soul, and body are all at peace and on the same page.
I used to feel that by loving and taking care of myself first, I was being selfish. But if you really think about it, how can you help anyone else if you cannot help yourself?
So here are a few things that I do, for myself, that really help to nourish my soul and make me feel like a lighter and happier person!
- READ! I know that there are so many people in this generation that do not like and have no intention to start reading. And sometimes, it is hard to calm your mind enough to let yourself be fully engaged in reading a book. For me, reading is something that has always been something that calms me down and keep me feeling settled and adventurous at the same time. I love all kinds of different genres, so there is definitely something out there for everyone to enjoy! If you have a hard time sitting down and actually reading, I HIGHLY recommend Audible. Audible is an app that you can listen to audio books on. I love listening to Audible specifically when I am making dinner, cleaning up the house or driving in the car! If you are looking for something to read or to start reading but don’t know exactly where to start, here are a few of the books I am currently reading or have thoroughly enjoyed in the past!
- The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls (My All Time FAVORITE!)
- Girl Wash Your Face by Rachel Hollis
- You Are a Badass by Jen Sincero
- Wonder by R.J. Palacio
- The Help by Kathryn Stockett
- The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
- The Cellar by Natasha Preston
- #Girlboss by Sophia Amoruso
- The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis
If you cannot already tell, I absolutely adore reading. It is something that calms my thoughts and allows me to be transported to different places and times, teaches me things I have never even thought about, as well as encouraging me to do my very best in this life. Right now, I am currently finishing Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert, and like the books above, I highly recommend it. I know reading can be hard for a lot of people, but it is something that really does bring a calm to your spirit!
- Spend time with loved ones! This can be your family, your friends or even your pets. It can be 20 people or just one person, but spending time with people who bring joy and happiness to your heart is something that brings a positive energy all around. I feel like there is nothing better than doing nothing with someone you love rather than doing something awesome with people you don’t have a great connection with. When you spend time with those people who bring out the best and happiest version of you, it is a little easier, at least for myself, to continue walking in those shoes. For me, spending time with my husband, daughter, siblings and parents is what makes me feel the happiest. It helps my mind not feel so cluttered, because when I am with those people, I have nothing to worry about. I am just simply happy! So, take the initiative to spend more time with those who encourage you and help you feel your absolute best!
- Have a hobby that’s just for you! I am lucky in the fact that I like to do a ton of different things! I love to paint, sing, write, and so many other things, but nothing compares to my love of baking! Cooking is fun, but there is a warmth and happiness I feel when I am baking. It is like I am in my own little world, just working on something in order to make it my kind of perfect. When I am baking, I kind of just forget my troubles or nervous nature. I concentrate on the ingredients, the customization, and I think about the delicious product I will get as a reward for a job well done. Having a hobby, something that is only for you, is something that brings calm to your spirit. It lifts you up and it is awesome because it is only for you. So, try out a few different things if you don’t already have a hobby. Make time for it. Make time for you!
- Get outside! Go adventuring! Go get some fresh air! Get away from the TV, your phone, and all of the distractions. Sit somewhere and just listen. Admire how beautiful nature is without even trying. I have been so blessed with the fact that I come from a super outdoorsy family. I spent most of my childhood outdoors, which has helped me find more appreciation for it now as I get older. This is something I really do encourage you to do! Nature doesn’t need you to be anything you aren’t. It just needs you to be. So, go. Just be.
- Drink A LOT of WATER! This last one might seem a bit strange, but it is something that is so obvious and not all at the same time. Your body needs water. For me, I always just feel so much better when I drink a ton of water. I notice a difference in my energy levels. I feel like my skin and hair looks so much healthier. And it just helps me feel, good. When you are good to your body, it in turn is good for your soul. So, keep drinking your H2O everyone!!
Those are all of my little things that bring peace to me and my soul! It is so important that we take care of ourselves, because everything, every little change, every drop of optimism and positivity we can bring into this world, it helps. It helps us and everyone around us!
Alright, I hope you all enjoyed this read, and I will talk to you all in my next post!!